Project : ‘Development of Energy Efficient FRP Axial-flow Fans’
The Axial Flow Fans are conventionally designed with impellers made of aluminum or mild steel. The grey area today is the inconsistency in proper aerofoil selection & dimensional stability of the metallic impellers. This leads to high power consumption, high noise levels, and reduced efficiency. Leading fan manufacturers in the world have been looking at FRP Axial Flow Fans for higher energy efficiency. The improved design of an FRP Fan is aimed at a higher lift to drag ratio thereby increasing the overall efficiency. The new & improved aerodynamic fan design, composite development, and structural design combined with the latest manufacturing process are also expected to result in consistent quality and higher productivity.
Keeping in view the international trends and energy saving potential, the project on ‘Development of Energy Efficient FRP Axial-flow Fans’ was launched by the Advanced Composites Mission of TIFAC, Department of Science & Technology in partnership with Parag Fans & Cooling Systems Ltd., Dewas (MP). The technology support in terms of aerodynamic design of Axial Flow Fan Impellers, composite structural design, raw materials, fabrication process and performance evaluation was provided by the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Bombay.
The project involved improvisation of fan design by selecting the most appropriate aerodynamic blade shape to suit specific airflow applications, development of suitable composite materials and structural design to replace the use of metals such as aluminum and mild steel in the impellers. The Fibre Reinforced Plastics (FRP) Fans was decided upon because of the distinct advantages they have:
- Higher efficiency suitable for any specific application
- Reduced overall weight of the fan, thereby extending the life of mechanical drive systems such as motors, gearboxes, bearings etc
- Low power consumption resulting in appreciable energy savings as compared to existing metallic fans
- Lower flow noise and mechanical noise levels compared to the conventional metallic fans
- Longer life of fans due to improved mechanical strength
- Excellent corrosion & erosion resistance and fire retardant qualities